“Elephants in the Road: How Climate Chaos, the Safety Crisis, and the Rise of Autonomous Vehicles Will Shape the Future of Humboldt County’s Transportation System, and What We Need to Do About It”
The mission of the Coalition for Responsible Transportation Priorities (CRTP) is to promote transportation solutions that protect and support a healthy environment, healthy people, healthy communities and a healthy economy on the North Coast.
CRTP envisions a North Coast region with vibrant local communities where walking, biking, public transit, and other socially and environmentally positive modes of transportation are the norm. We are passionate about creating a world where these modes are equitable, safe and comfortable for people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, income levels, genders, ages and abilities. We believe that we urgently need mode shift to effectively address climate change, equity and safety in our community.
- We advocate to local governments—for investments and policies that support safe transit, pedestrian and bicycling networks for everybody.
- We speak out about the climate crisis and the urgent need to design our transportation systems for the public good.
- We recognize power disparities drawn along the lines of income-level, ability, race, ethnicity, culture, age and gender, and are dedicated to a vision of social justice and human rights for all people using all modes of transportation.
- We provide resources in the form of planning, capacity-building, technical support and best practices for reducing harm on our public roadways.
- We partner with respected local organizations, agencies, public leaders and advocates to pursue equitable access to our public spaces, our places of business, our homes and our natural beauty.
- We mobilize the public to advocate in their own communities to make accessible, sociable public spaces.
- We connect our community—as the only local non-profit organization on the North Coast solely committed to researching, planning and advocating transportation solutions, we strive to build a more equitable, connected place for all.
Stay in touch with us!